Faithful readers could simply check my “DeHaan at Suite 101” page for this news, but I wanted to highlight it as a blog article.
Early in Nov. 2012, Suite 101 has re-opened itself for its past writers to begin building channels and writing new articles.
Notes on the Revived Suite 101 Online Magazine
Let me start by introducing Suite 101.
What is Suite 101?
Suite 101 is an online magazine with many contributing freelance authors. Each author is free to write on any number of topics, and to submit as many articles as often as one likes.
Suite 101 pays its writers on a revenue sharing basis.
What is a Suite 101 Channel?
The question of just what is a channel at Suite 101 has been questioned by the writers, since it is a difficult concept to explain.
At Suite 101, a channel is basically a topic or subject area. Any number of authors may submit any number of articles to a channel. Any one article may only be linked to one channel at a time, however.
Any writer can create a channel, or request to be accepted as a contributor to some else’s channel.
A new channel must be approved by a member of the full-time editorial staff before it launches. One prerequisite for approval is that the author contributes a new article to that channel.
Older articles may remain outside of channels, or assigned to an appropriate channel by its author, if the author is a contributor to that channel.
Another way to think of a channel is that it simply works as a “link page” that points to subordinate pages within the site. The contents of each channel page includes a brief description of the channel, and links with an image, title and introduction to that article.
My Three New Mennonite Channels at Suite 101
So far I’ve contributed three channels to my Suite 101 presence.
- “Mennonite History from 1500 to 2000” covers early Mennonite history from its Anabaptist roots through the 20th century.
- “Mennonite Beliefs from the Anabaptists through Today” deals with the basic beliefs, including formal doctrines and Mennonite confessions of faith.
- “The Modern Mennonite Church Still Making History in Current Events” is a broad channel for news and current events about Mennonites in the 21st century, as well as current Mennonite organizations and the modern programs and missions that Mennonites pursue.
My Three Recent Mennonite Articles for my Suite 101 Channels
Each channel was launched with a new article, but includes some of my older ones also. My new articles are:
- “The Death of the Mennonite Martyr, Dirk Willemsz“, who is the subject of the above image and the new addition to my channel for Mennonite history.
- “Distinctly Mennonite Beliefs in the 1995 Confession of Faith” about the current statement of doctrines for many North American Mennonites. To no-one’s surprise, this is in the Mennonite Beliefs channel.
- “Did the ‘Canadian Mennonite’ Become Political in 2012?” is part of the Modern Mennoites channel, since it is a news item hot off the press in November 2012.
I personally, and Suite 101 in particular, would like to see comments and discussion within the Suite 101 articles. See you there!